rejuvesol Red Blood Cell Processing Solution

Blood Basics

Blood Vessel Diagram
  • Blood is a combination of cells, (red and white blood cells and platelets) and plasma8-10. Blood serves many functions such as fighting infections8-9 and transporting oxygen and nutrients8,10 to organs and tissue throughout the body8.
  • Red blood cells supply oxygen. White blood cells help fight infection while platelets help the body perform clotting when needed8,10.
  • Plasma is comprised of 92% water and the remaining 8% is mainly proteins. Plasma helps the blood clot when an injury occurs10-11.

Blood Collection, Storage, and Transfusion

  • Blood banks are responsible for collecting, testing and storing blood12
  • RBCs have a storage life of up to 42 days per guidance by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)13
  • In one survey, the average age of RBC at transfusion was 18 days2
  • Transfusion of RBC with longer storage times has been associated with an increased risk of mortality14
  • For complete AABB Guidelines on the Use of Human Blood and Blood Components, click here.
Blood Collection, Storage, and Transfusionm
  • A blood transfusion is when blood is delivered to a patient through an intravenous line (IV)12.
  • Transfusions occur to replace lost blood during a surgery, traumatic event or if the body cannot make blood correctly because of illness12.
  • Five million Americans receive blood transfusions each year12.

Fast Facts about Stored Blood

Fast Facts about Stored Blood
  • Someone needs blood every two seconds15
  • About 1 in 7 people entering the hospital need blood15
  • Red blood cells (RBCs) live for 120 days16
  • RBC can be stored up to 42 days per the Food and Drug Administration guidance13
  • In one survey, the average age of RBC at transfusion was 18 days2
  • For red blood cells to deliver oxygen efficiently, they must have adequate levels of 2,3-DPG and ATP7
  • At 14 days, 2,3-DPG is depleted by 98% while ATP declines gradually in stored RBC4
  • Transfusion of older RBC has been associated with an increased risk of mortality14
  • Over 40,000 units of RBC are transfused each day in the U.S. and Canada9,15
  • Annual costs in the United States exceeds $14 billion in blood transfusion6